Neighbors Insurance - Commercial and Personal Insurance in Boca Raton, Florida

Call 561.948.4303

Sign up for our monthly newsletter

Seven financial precautions that can help you recover from a disaster... read more






How Do I File a Homeowners Claim? »»

Currently Viewing: Home » Insurance News

How Do I File a Homeowners Claim?

If some has become injured on you property or if a violent storm destroys your home, you will need to file a claim with your insurance company.  Remember, a homeowners policy is a contract between you and your insurance company.  And there are rules and procedures that you and your insurer must follow.  Read your insurance policy to see what your responsibilities are.

Report any crime to the police

If you are the victim of a theft or your home has been vandalized or burglarized, report it to the police.  Get a police report and the names of all law enforcement officers that you speak with.

Phone your agent or company immediately

Insurance policies place a time limit on filing claims.  Find out what the time limit is.  Ask questions: Am I covered? Does my claim exceed my deductible? (Your deductible is the amount of loss you agree to pay yourself when you buy a policy.)  How long will it tkae to process my claim?  Will I need to obtain estimates for repairs to structural damage?

Make temporary repairs

Take reasonable steps to protect you property from further damage.  Save receipts for what you spend and submit them to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Prepare a list of lost or damaged articles

You are going to need to substantiate your loss.  Avoid throwing out damaged items until the adjuster has visited your home.  You should also consider photographing or videotaping the damage.  Prepare a home inventory, make a copy for your adjuster and supply him or her with copies of receipts from damaged items.

 If you need to relocate, keep you receipts

If your home is severly damaged and you need to find other accomodations while repairs are being made, keep records of all additional expenses incurred.  Most homeowners insurance policies provide coverage for the "loss of use" of your home.

Get claim forms

Once your insurance company has been notified of your claim, the company is required to send you the necessary claim forms to you the end of a specified time period.  (The time period varies from state to state.) Return the properly filled out forms as soon as possible in order to avoid delays.

Have an adjuster inspect the damage to your home

Your insurance company will probably arrange for an adjuster to come and inspect your home.


Once you and your insurance company agree on the terms of your settlement, state laws require that you be sent payment promptly.  In most cases, your claim will be processed quickly.  If you have any questions about the claim filing laws in your state, call Neighbor's Insurance Advisors or the Florida Department of Financial Serivces.

Used with permission from the Insurance Information Institute.